This message was part of the ‘For Such a Time as This’ series, preached at Christ Church Manchester’s church in Gorton in late 2017. The full series included the following sermons:
This sermon was based on Ephesians 6:10-20
The Whole Armour of God
10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, 19and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, 20for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.
We are fighting against the powers of this dark world
- As Christians we do not fight against people but the devil and demons.
- During times of war when an army conquers an area it takes people captive. People today who don’t follow Jesus have been captured by the devil. This is why Jesus says I have come to set the captives free.
- So, the devil still operates today but his power is nothing compared to God. Unlike God he can’t be everywhere. Unlike God he doesn’t know everything.
- Its important for us to remember the devil tempts us to sin, but he can’t make us sin, we are the ones who choose whether to give into the temptation or not.
We are fighting for the Lord
- We fight for Jesus. It’s his fight. This is his church. This is his book. We’re his servants, his soldiers, but he’s the king and it’s his war. Because it’s his war we get the power to fight in it from him from the Holy Spirit.
We are fighting with the armour of God
- The armour of God is made up of 6 things and each one combats one of the devil’s schemes. The belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the shoes of the gospel, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation and the sword of the spirit.
- Four times in this passage Paul says we need to stand firm. One of the most important jobs a soldier can do is hold his post.
- In our day and age if we don’t like something we move to the next thing. Not many people today are willing to stand firm. To stay in a tough situation. Use the armour God has given you.