This sermon was based on Luke 4:16-31.
Jesus Rejected at Nazareth
and recovering of sight to the blind,
Jesus Heals a Man With an Unclean Demon
- Jesus reads from Isaiah 61 revealing who he is and what his mission is.
- His mission was to release people from captivity to sin, heal them from the blindness of unbelief, and bring liberty from the oppression of Satan.
- His mission was also to release those held captives unjustly in other ways too, to bring healing to physical problems and to bring liberty to those who are oppressed.
- The mission of Jesus is the mission of the Church. This is our mission.
- Jesus tells two stories from the Old Testament to demonstrate what faith is.
- Real Faith is made up from Belief, Trust and Obedience. Its all of these things together.
Exercising real faith often looks crazy to other people. Not just non-Christians but Christians too.
- The people in the synagogue were furious with Jesus not because of the passage he read but because of what he left out.
- Basically what Jesus did was he transformed a message of judgement into a message of Grace and his listeners were incensed.
Jesus faced opposition right from the start of his ministry the whole way through. If we are going to believe in Jesus, trust Jesus and obey him we’re going to face opposition too.
The big question is do you believe in Jesus, do you trust him and do you obey him?