This sermon was based on Luke 4:16-31.
Jesus Rejected at Nazareth
16And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up. And as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read. 17And the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written,
18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
20And he rolled up the scroll and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. 21And he began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.” 22And all spoke well of him and marveled at the gracious words that were coming from his mouth. And they said, “Is not this Joseph’s son?” 23And he said to them, “Doubtless you will quote to me this proverb, ‘”Physician, heal yourself.” What we have heard you did at Capernaum, do here in your hometown as well.'” 24And he said, “Truly, I say to you, no prophet is acceptable in his hometown. 25But in truth, I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the heavens were shut up three years and six months, and a great famine came over all the land, 26and Elijah was sent to none of them but only to Zarephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow.27And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of the prophet Elisha, and none of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian.” 28When they heard these things, all in the synagogue were filled with wrath. 29And they rose up and drove him out of the town and brought him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, so that they could throw him down the cliff. 30But passing through their midst, he went away.
Jesus Heals a Man With an Unclean Demon
31And he went down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee. And he was teaching them on the Sabbath,
- Jesus reads from Isaiah 61 revealing who he is and what his mission is.
- His mission was to release people from captivity to sin, heal them from the blindness of unbelief, and bring liberty from the oppression of Satan.
- His mission was also to release those held captives unjustly in other ways too, to bring healing to physical problems and to bring liberty to those who are oppressed.
- The mission of Jesus is the mission of the Church. This is our mission.
- Jesus tells two stories from the Old Testament to demonstrate what faith is.
- Real Faith is made up from Belief, Trust and Obedience. Its all of these things together.
- Exercising real faith often looks crazy to other people. Not just non-Christians but Christians too.
- The people in the synagogue were furious with Jesus not because of the passage he read but because of what he left out.
- Basically what Jesus did was he transformed a message of judgement into a message of Grace and his listeners were incensed.
- Jesus faced opposition right from the start of his ministry the whole way through. If we are going to believe in Jesus, trust Jesus and obey him we’re going to face opposition too.
The big question is do you believe in Jesus, do you trust him and do you obey him?