This message was part of the ‘Kingdom Manifesto’ series on Mark 1, preached at Christ Church Manchester’s church in Gorton in Summer 2016. The full series included the following sermons:
- Identity (by Mim Ballard) – Mark 1:9-11
- Opposition (by Tom O’Toole) – Mark 1:12-13
- Disciple (by Tom O’Toole) – Mark 1:16-20
- Authority (by Graham Harrop) – Mark 1:21-28
- Healing (by Andy Armstrong) – Mark 1:29-34
- It Starts In the Quiet Place (by Victoria Armstrong) – Mark 1:35-39
- Touching the Untouchable (by Charles Kachitsa) – Mark 1:40-45
This sermon was based on Mark 1:21-28.
Jesus Heals a Man with an Unclean Spirit
21And they went into Capernaum, and immediately on the Sabbath he entered the synagogue and was teaching. 22And they were astonished at his teaching, for he taught them as one who had authority, and not as the scribes. 23And immediately there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit. And he cried out, 24″What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God.” 25But Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be silent, and come out of him!” 26And the unclean spirit, convulsing him and crying out with a loud voice, came out of him. 27And they were all amazed, so that they questioned among themselves, saying, “What is this? A new teaching with authority! He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey him.” 28And at once his fame spread everywhere throughout all the surrounding region of Galilee.