This sermon was based on Philippians 2:1-18
Christ’s Example of Humility
1So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, 2complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. 3Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 4Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Lights in the World
12Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
14Do all things without grumbling or disputing, 15that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 17Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me.
How do We Live Significant Lives?
- We live significant lives by living lives which have meaning and purpose.
- Paul’s idea of how we do this is radical, both then and now. We are called to stand out, to live lives that look different.
- We are called to live transformed lives that in turn will transform cities.
How do We Get to That Place of Significance?
- Paul says that the way we do this is through sacrifice, by laying ourselves down.
- First by saying Jesus is Lord and living accordingly and second by building a church which is unified as one body.
- We accomplish this when we choose inequality, we put others first, we become servants and we are obedient.
Jesus Example of Humility and Significance.
- Jesus put down his significance, his rights when he was obedient to death on a cross.
- Jesus gave it all up because he put our salvation, the joy set before him, above his own personal needs.
- As a result of his sacrifice he was raised to the highest place of significance.
- As a result of our sacrifice and laying ourselves down we shine like lights in the world.