This message was part of the ‘Kingdom Manifesto’ series on Mark 1, preached at Christ Church Manchester’s church in Gorton in Summer 2016. The full series included the following sermons:
- Identity (by Mim Ballard) – Mark 1:9-11
- Opposition (by Tom O’Toole) – Mark 1:12-13
- Disciple (by Tom O’Toole) – Mark 1:16-20
- Authority (by Graham Harrop) – Mark 1:21-28
- Healing (by Andy Armstrong) – Mark 1:29-34
- It Starts In the Quiet Place (by Victoria Armstrong) – Mark 1:35-39
- Touching the Untouchable (by Charles Kachitsa) – Mark 1:40-45
This sermon was based on Mark 1:16-20.
Jesus Calls the First Disciples
16Passing alongside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew the brother of Simon casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. 17And Jesus said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you become fishers of men.” 18And immediately they left their nets and followed him. 19And going on a little farther, he saw James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, who were in their boat mending the nets. 20And immediately he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired servants and followed him.