This sermon was based on Mark 1:29-39.
Jesus Heals Many
29And immediately he left the synagogue and entered the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. 30Now Simon’s mother-in-law lay ill with a fever, and immediately they told him about her. 31And he came and took her by the hand and lifted her up, and the fever left her, and she began to serve them.
32That evening at sundown they brought to him all who were sick or oppressed by demons. 33And the whole city was gathered together at the door. 34And he healed many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons. And he would not permit the demons to speak, because they knew him.
Jesus Preaches in Galilee
35And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed. 36And Simon and those who were with him searched for him, 37and they found him and said to him, “Everyone is looking for you.” 38And he said to them, “Let us go on to the next towns, that I may preach there also, for that is why I came out.” 39And he went throughout all Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and casting out demons.
Knowing Identity, Purpose and Calling
- Jesus knew who he was and what he had come to do. He was clear about his identity, his purpose and his calling.
- We need to know who we are as children of God. This relationship is not dependant on our doing anything.
- We need to know our calling. We are called to preach good news to the poor, freedom to the oppressed and recovery of sight to the blind. We are called to make disciples, to heal the sick, to set the captives free and to raise the dead.
Prioritising Relationship with the Father
- Jesus prioritised relationship and time with his Father. He was fully God but also fully man and the way he related to the Father as a man is the way we need to relate to the Father.
- We need to prioritise relationship with the Father. ‘We never grow closer to God when we just live life. It takes deliberate pursuit and attentiveness.’ (Francis Chan)
- Prioritising relationship with God means; reading the Bible – its the first source of learning the character if God; Pray – spend time talking to and listening to God; Be filled with the Holy Spirit – its the Spirit that testifies we are children of God; Praise and Worship – The Lord inhabits the praises of his people.
Follow and Keep Moving
- Jesus kept moving. He didn’t settle for what he had done already but kept moving into his calling. He was doing what he saw the Father doing.
- We need to keep moving. God has not changed, he is still doing the things that he was doing in the time of Jesus and we still need to keep moving and follow him.
- ‘It is true that God may have called you to be exactly where you are. But, it is absolutely vital to grasp that he didn’t call you there so you could settle in and live your life in comfort and superficial peace.’ ‘God doesn’t call us to be comfortable. He calls us to trust Him so completely that we are unafraid to put ourselves in situations where we will be in trouble if He doesn’t come through.’ (Francis Chan)
- What does keeping moving look like for you right now? What does it actually mean for you to keep moving at this moment in time?