Generosity

Sermon from CCM Ladybarn

LISTEN

This sermon was preached by Andy Brownlee at the Ladybarn site of Christ Church Manchester on Sunday 10th February 2019.

SERIES

This message was part of the ‘SERIES NAME’ series, preached at Christ Church Manchester’s church in Withington in EARLY/MID/LATE YEAR. The full series included the following sermons:

BIBLE VERSES

This sermon was based on Revelation 2:1-7.

To the Church in Ephesus

1“To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: ‘The words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands.

2“‘I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. 3I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name’s sake, and you have not grown weary. 4But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first.5Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent. 6Yet this you have: you hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.  7He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.’

KEY POINTS

Generosity is Love in Action

  • Love is all about giving not about getting. You cannot love without giving.

  • The word Believe appears 272 times in bible, Pray – 371 times, Love – 714 times but Give appears 2152 times.

  • Why? Because God is the great Giver – everything we have is a gift from God.

8 Biblical Promises of Generosity

  • Generosity draws us closer to God. Whatever we invest in we grow closer to. Deuteronomy 14:32, Matthew 6:21.

  • Generosity makes us more like Jesus. Jesus is generous. We are saved because of his generosity towards us.

  • Generosity is the cure for materialism. Every time we give we break the hold of materialism on our lives. Matthew 6:24.

  • Generosity demonstrates Faith. Every time we give it demonstrates our faith because it shows that we’re trusting in God

    It shows that we believe he will take care of us if we obey him. 2 Corinthians 9:13, Philemon 1:6.

  • Generosity increases our happiness. Everybody knows this. The only people who don’t know this are people who aren’t generous. Jesus said it like this in

    Acts 20:35 (Todays English version) “There is more happiness in giving than in receiving.”

  • Generosity expands our influence. The more generous you become the more influential you will become. Influence comes not from what you get in life but from what you give away in life. Proverbs 11:24, Psalm 112:9.
  • Generosity multiplies our money. God has made the world in a way that when I give 10% of my income he makes the remaining 90% go further than if I had kept all the 100% myself. Try it. Proverbs 11:25, 2 Corinthians 9:11.
  • Generosity will be rewarded in Heaven. You can’t take your money with you when you die, we never see a hearse with a trailer, you can’t take it with you but you can send it on ahead. Jesus says in the bible we should store up treasure in heaven. Luke 16:9.

     

MORE SERMONS

To see more sermons from Christ Church Manchester, you can visit our sermons page, or why not consider subscribing on iTunes.