This sermon was based on Romans 10:1-21
1Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved. 2For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. 4For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
The Message of Salvation to All
5For Moses writes about the righteousness that is based on the law, that the person who does the commandments shall live by them. 6But the righteousness based on faith says, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?'” (that is, to bring Christ down) 7“or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?'” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
Why Did God Create the Earth?
- God created the earth for his Glory.
- People were created to know God and be known by God.
- God is bringing people to himself from all the ends of the earth and he is going to great lengths to do so.
So What is the Purpose of the Church?
- All of the church exists, so that we may bring all the peoples of God, to the worship of God, through the preaching of the word of God.
2 Corinthians 5:20 says this, “we are ambassadors (plural) for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us” (2 Cor 5:20) The appeal of God to repent from sin and believe in Jesus comes through us, the church!
- God is gathering his people from all over the world so he can send us back into the world, armed with the gospel.
Good News for Everyone
- There is no longer any distinctions between Jew or Gentile (v12), and as such all the areas of difference that once separated us (because of sin) are now irrelevant. This means that the promise is “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved”.
- Therefore we are all called to preach, herald, demonstrate this good news in all of our lives.
Our task as followers of Jesus is to recognise our commissioning from Jesus and to get amongst all the peoples of the earth and to herald the good news until every tribe, tongue, people and nation worship and praise God.