This sermon was based on Mark 7:24-37.
The Syrophoenician Woman’s Faith
24And from there he arose and went away to the region of Tyre and Sidon. And he entered a house and did not want anyone to know, yet he could not be hidden. 25But immediately a woman whose little daughter had an unclean spirit heard of him and came and fell down at his feet. 26Now the woman was a Gentile, a Syrophoenician by birth. And she begged him to cast the demon out of her daughter. 27And he said to her, “Let the children be fed first, for it is not right to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.” 28But she answered him, “Yes, Lord; yet even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.” 29And he said to her, “For this statement you may go your way; the demon has left your daughter.” 30And she went home and found the child lying in bed and the demon gone.
Jesus Heals a Deaf Man
31Then he returned from the region of Tyre and went through Sidon to the Sea of Galilee, in the region of the Decapolis. 32And they brought to him a man who was deaf and had a speech impediment, and they begged him to lay his hand on him. 33And taking him aside from the crowd privately, he put his fingers into his ears, and after spitting touched his tongue. 34And looking up to heaven, he sighed and said to him, “Ephphatha,” that is, “Be opened.” 35And his ears were opened, his tongue was released, and he spoke plainly. 36And Jesus charged them to tell no one. But the more he charged them, the more zealously they proclaimed it. 37And they were astonished beyond measure, saying, “He has done all things well. He even makes the deaf hear and the mute speak.”
What Gets us into the Presence of Jesus?
There are many things which would stop this woman from entering the presence of Jesus according to Jewish law. She is a Woman, she is a foreigner and she is unclean – even knowing all this she is desperate and pushes through the barriers.
The mother is desperate, she needs something to change for her daughter. That in itself is not enough she needs to take action.
- The woman makes a big decision, a decision which seemed at odds with expectations. She leaves the daughter and seeks out Jesus. What decisions do we need to make to seek Jesus’ presence?
What Happens when we Enter Jesus Presence?
He reveals were we are – his knowledge of the woman highlighted exactly who she was and where her heart was.
He brings us into his story – The woman recognised that the Kingdom which Jesus was bringing was for everyone, including her.
He changes our perspective – The woman’s faith has grown and her understanding of who God is has changed.
Jesus Presence Changes us
- To provoke faith – when we go with desperation/need – Jesus looks for more.
- He pushes us for faith in him – commitment to him – called to repent, believe and follow.
- Repentance is to direct our lives at him – to live for him and nothing else.
- Brings healing – Jesus is the restorer who heals – where we are broken he fixes – that can be physically now
- To be part of his story – we lay down our own life / our own story – become part of his – to point to Jesus as the light for the nation.