This sermon was based on Mark 7:24-37.
The Syrophoenician Woman’s Faith
Jesus Heals a Deaf Man
What Gets us into the Presence of Jesus?
There are many things which would stop her from entering the presence of Jesus according to Jewish law. She is a Woman, she is a foreigner and she is unclean – even knowing all this she is desperate and pushes through the barriers.
The mother is desperate, she needs something to change for her daughter. That in itself is not enough she needs to take action.
- The woman makes a big decision, a decision which seemed at odds with expectations. She leaves the daughter and seeks out Jesus. What decisions do we need to make to seek Jesus’ presence.
What Happens when we Enter Jesus Presence?
He reveals were we are – his knowledge f the woman highlighted exactly who she was and where her heart was.
He brings us into his story. The woman recognised that the Kingdom which Jesus was bringing was for everyone, including her.
He changes our perspective. The woman’s faith has grown and her understanding of who God is has changed.
Jesus Presence Changes us
- To provoke faith – when we go with desperation/need – Jesus looks for more.
- He pushes us for faith in him – commitment to him – called to repent, believe and follow.
- Repentance is to direct our lives at him – to live for him and nothing else.
- Brings healing – Jesus is the restorer who heals – where we are broken he fixes – that can be physically now
- To be part of his story – we lay down our own life / our own story – become part of his – to point to Jesus as the light for the nation.