This sermon was based on Romans 12:1-2
A Living Sacrifice
1I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
It Begins With Dedication
- If you want to know God’s will you need to decide that you are going to do his will, whatever it is.
- Dedication is voluntary (a choice we make), practical (something we do) and complete (all areas of our lives – a living sacrifice).
- Dedication is not a to do list. Its an attitude of heart and obedience in response to a relationship with God.
Do Not be Conformed…
- Some people respond to the instruction not to conform by isolating themselves from the world. We need to learn to live in the world but not to be formed by it.
- Another response is to imitate the world, to accept the worlds values and try to fit in. We need to learn how to rid ourselves of the values and pressures put on us by the world.
- We need to be insulated in Christ so that we can live in the world but we are surrounded by him and our identities and values are shaped by him.
- God has already transformed us. We are New Creations. 2 Corinthians 5:17
- We are being transformed as an ongoing process. 1 John 3:2
- We will be transformed and fully made like Jesus. 2 Corinthians 3:18