This sermon was based on Romans 12:9-21
Marks of the True Christian
9Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. 10Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. 11Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 13Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.
14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. 17Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. 18If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. 19Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” 20To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Loving Others Really Matters
- People today are desperate to experience real love and are looking for it in all the wrong places.
- When we learn to love one another the way God wants us to love one another the world will be won for Christ.
- Paul is saying here because of all that God has done for us, now we must love.
How to Love Christians
- Love must be sincere and not hypocritical, it also involves hating what is evil. (Verse 9)
- Love is devoting ourselves to each other and loving one another like family, honour others above ourselves. (Verse 10)
- We are not to be apathetic in how we serve others. When we serve others it is service to God. (Verse 11)
- Be joyful, patient and faithful in prayer. (Verse 12)
- We must share with those in need (Verse 13)
- We must bless and not curse those who persecute us. (Verse 14)
- Rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn. (Verse 15)
- We are to live in harmony with one another and not be proud. (Verse 16)
How to Love Non-Christians
- Do what is right and live in peace with everybody. (Verses 17 & 18)
- We are not to take revenge when we have been wronged. (Verse 19)
- We are called to continually do good to those who have done us wrong and in this way to overcome evil with good. (Verses 20 & 21)