This message was part of the ‘How to Pray’ series, preached at Christ Church Manchester’s church in Fallowfield in early 2018. The full series included the following sermons:
This sermon was based on Matthew 6:10.
The Lord’s Prayer
9 Pray then like this:
“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
10 Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread,
12 and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
The Kingdom of God is in Construction
- Human kings, even good ones, still mess up and fall short. Jesus has been sent to us as a good and perfect King to rule.
- Jesus started building this perfect Kingdom and he will bring it to completion. The Kingdom is centred around him because he is the cornerstone of the Christian faith. But there is a job for all of us in His Kingdom – we all have a role to bring about this perfect Kingdom.
The Kingdom of God is Heaven
- The new Creation will be perfect. We will live in peace and harmony, without sin and pain and tears, with God and other citizens of Heaven.
- To become a citizen of Heaven, you have to believe in Jesus Christ: that he is the Son of God that was sent to Earth to take away our sins by dying on the cross. And through His resurrection, He clothes us in righteousness.
How do we behave like Kingdom Citizens?
- Philippians 1:27 says that we should conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of Christ.
- We should pray with expectancy, believing that God is King and that He will move in power on our behalf. Our prayers have power when God is behind them – amazing change can be brought for God’s glory.
- We should be prepared to act and participiate in building the Kingdom. We are called to evangelise to the world about the truth of Jesus Christ so that they might also believe and become citizens of Heaven with us.
- We should be able to give up things for the benefit of the Kingdom. Maybe that is time, energy or finances to help others. Be willing to use your gifts and talents to further the Kingfom. Show mercy, forgive and love people as Jesus does.
- Live as though God’s perfect Kingdom is coming tomorrow.