This message was part of the ‘How to Pray’ series, preached at Christ Church Manchester’s church in Fallowfield in early 2018. The full series included the following sermons:
This sermon was based on Matthew 6:10.
The Lord’s Prayer
9 Pray then like this:
“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
10 Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread,
12 and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
God’s Will of Decree
- God is Sovereign and His plans will always prevail. We are free to make decisions but nothing will take us out of God’s bigger plan for our lives.
- Nothing we do takes God by surprise and He can use all things for His glory.
God’s Will of Desire
- God knows what He wants for our lives. He wants us to do well and live for His glory. But it’s our choice to live our lives in this way. We aren’t forced to obey the lifestyle taught to us in the Bible, but because we love God and know He wants the best for us, then why wouldn’t we want to live life His way?
- We reflect Heaven on Earth by being more like Jesus in the way we live.
God’s Will of Direction
- God knows the direction our life will take. We don’t have to know the end result of our decisions to trust that God will use any decision for His glory.
- When making a decision, one choice we make does not result in blessing, and the other option does not result in failure.
- We must pray for wisdom when making decisions but so that our hearts become aligned with God’s will. We must first seek God’s Kingdom above all things. Then seek opportunities to live more like Jesus, ask for salvations, take risks and be obedient. Don’t obesess over what will happen in the future – trust that God will use any decision you make to bring about His Kingdom.