This sermon was based on Hebrews 7:18-27.
The Priestly Order of Melchizedek
20And it was not without an oath. For those who formerly became priests were made such without an oath, 21but this one was made a priest with an oath by the one who said to him:
‘You are a priest forever.’”
Levitical Priestly Order
• Tithe was a 10th of the people’s income and that went towards the priests and was law.
• Melchizedek priesthood was superior.
• Melchizedek blessed Abraham
Superior who Blesses the Inferior
• It is a common practice in India for the superior to bless the inferior.
• Melchizedek is superior to Levites and since Christ is like Melchizedek – His priesthood is superior to Levitical priesthood.
• God’s ultimate goal – It is to establish an eternal relationship between himself and His people and it cannot be attained with Levitical priesthood.
• Jesus Priesthood is certain and He intercedes forever.
• The role of a priest is to intercede for you.
Jesus Intercedes for Us
• He is able to save those who draw near to God.
• Jesus is the permanent perfect Priest.
• His priesthood is different because He is perfect, holy, innocent, unstained separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens.
• He offered Himself as a sacrifice.
• Because of His perfect obedience and His indestructible life we can have great confidence that our sins are forgiven, and therefore that we can draw near to God with confidence.