This sermon was based on Hebres 7:18-27
…The Priestly Order of Melchizedek
18For on the one hand, a former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness 19(for the law made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.
20And it was not without an oath. For those who formerly became priests were made such without an oath, 21but this one was made a priest with an oath by the one who said to him:
“The Lord has sworn
and will not change his mind,
‘You are a priest forever.’”
22This makes Jesus the guarantor of a better covenant.
23The former priests were many in number, because they were prevented by death from continuing in office, 24but he holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever. 25Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.
26For it was indeed fitting that we should have such a high priest, holy, innocent, unstained, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens. 27He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he offered up himself.
• Referees are people who can testify or vouch for you about your behaviour at work, your general character, attitude and skills.
• One requires references when applying for jobs, schools spaces etc.
• Jesus is a referee who is quick to put aside your weaknesses, to forgive, who edges us to move forward.
• Regular time spent reading the Bible can help you get deeper revelation each time, even on the same verses.
• Melchizedek for the Jews means, “King of Righteousness”.
• Christ is appointed with an oath from God Himself, declaring Him priest forever.
What Does it Mean Today?
• Jesus is a greater High Priest than all those before Him in the Old Testament.
• He is Superior because He is the Priest of better Covenant, He was appointed by an oath from God, He is permanent as a Priest and He is sinless.
• Therefore, we can be confident in looking to Jesus as our great High Priest.
What Do We Do?
• Jesus continuously reminds us that He came just for us, that we may be free.
• Accepting in your heart the Lord through Jesus Christ, then all your deeds are empty.
• Having a referee who is not credible is damaging to oneself.
• Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:12
• Bring our needs to Jesus, who is alive, gives us all Hope – Anyone who draws nearer to Him is assured that they will be secured.