This sermon was based on Hebrews 4:1-13.
1Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. 2For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. 3For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said,
“As I swore in my wrath,
‘They shall not enter my rest,’”
although his works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works.” 5And again in this passage he said,
“They shall not enter my rest.”
6Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, 7again he appoints a certain day, “Today,” saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted,
“Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts.”
8For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on. 9So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, 10for whoever has entered God’s rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.
11Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience. 12For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
Mid-Life Crisis in the Church
- It is only uncomfortable (Hebrews) to get us on the right track.
- A resting place truly exists for us, it is a real place that God has provided for us.
Focus on our Eternal Destiny
- Faith makes the gospel message effective.
- The rest we are heading towards is God’s rest and he is there waiting for his people to join him.
- Sabbath is characterised in terms of festivity and joy.
Real Power – the Word of God
- He has shown us that the OT scriptures are prophetic / fulfilled in the Son of God.
- We cannot evade the living word of God.
- Use challenging times to grow closer to God.