This sermon was based on Romans 8:5-17
Life in the Spirit
5For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.6For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. 7For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. 8Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
9You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. 10But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
Heirs with Christ
12So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
- Why is mindset important? Your mindset determines how you act. Change always begins with a new mindset.
When you become a Christian the first thing God does is he gives you a different mindset, a different way of thinking, a different way of viewing the world.
It’s kind of like we’re a compass. Before we were are a Christian the needle was going all over the place then when we become a Christian God just points the needle north focuses our mindset on Jesus, makes him our direction in life.
- What makes a Christian different from a non-Christian is that they have the Holy Spirit living inside of them. Everything we need in the Christian life comes through the Holy Spirit’s power.
- In Greek the word ‘lives in you’ is the word we get our word “house” It literally means the Holy Spirit makes His home in you.
- We must hold in tension two clear truths: that the indwelling of the Spirit as the result of faith in Christ gives us eternal life, but also that a lifestyle patterned after God’s Spirit is necessary to inherit that eternal life.
- When we became Christian’s, we receive a spirit not of fear, fear of coming into God’s presence, no we receive a spirit of sonship. We don’t serve God out of duty or judgement but out of joy. We’re his children.
We have been adopted into God’s family as ‘adult children’ and heirs. When a person was adopted, back when the New Testament was written, it meant they were brought into full status immediately, full rights.
- “Joint heirs” means that all that God has, I’m going to have too. All that God owns is shared with you when you become a Christian. That’s amazing.