This sermon was based on Romans 8:1-4
Life in the Spirit
1There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. 3For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, 4in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
Our Response to Our Sin
- There is a big difference between just knowing truth and fully understanding, comprehending and becoming one with that truth. We need to really comprehend that ‘there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.’
- When we sin, we mess up and we don’t live up to God’s standard it can sometimes lead us to feeling condemnation.
- Condemnation leaves us experiencing/feeling guilt and fear. Ultimately condemnation can lead us to feelings of self rejection.
God’s Response to Our Sin
- When we sin God does not respond by rejecting us. His love is unconditional and he will never give up on us.
- God does not become angry when we sin. He is ‘slow to anger and filled with unfailing love’ (Psalm 103).
- God does not punish us when we sin. He doesn’t need to punish our sin because our sins have already been paid for by Jesus.
How Should we Respond?
- We need to not only know but fully understand, comprehend and become one with the truth that there is now no condemnation for us, so that it impacts how we live.
- We need to confess our sin, speak truthfully and openly about the fact that we have got things wrong.
- We need to recognise that our sin has already been paid for and accept the forgiveness which is given to us through Christ Jesus!