This sermon was based on Philippians 3:12-21
Straining Toward the Goal
12Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. 16Only let us hold true to what we have attained.
17Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. 18For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. 20But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.
Maturity in the Kingdom of Heaven
- Maturity is important in every community. Its also an important part of the Christian life.
- Christ has made us his own and our desire should be to grow as children of God.
- We have been made citizens of Heaven and as such we should want to become more like Christ.
What Does Maturity Look Like?
- Forgetting – we have been set free from our past and we are to leave behind everything which hinders us in our commitment to Christ.
- Focusing Forward – We are reaching for the prize of Christ, deeper relationship with him. This prize has already been won for us and we can enter more and more into it as we focus on what lies ahead.
- Finding – We are to find others who are mature and model ourselves on them. We should intentionally build relationship with others who we can learn from and who will help us to grow.
- Not Following – We need to make sure that we are not modelling ourselves on people whose ‘God is their belly’.
How is Maturity Possible?
- Because God does it and not us!
- Because Christ has made us his own.
- Because we are citizens of Heaven.
- Because we have the power of the Holy Spirit!