This sermon was based on Luke 24:45-47
45Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. 46He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48You are witnesses of these things. 49I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”
- Jesus summary of the Bible message here is 40% what God has done through Jesus (Jesus’s Mission) and 60% what God will do through the disciples and us (Our Mission).
- The Bible is a Missionary book. It is fundamentally about God’s Mission. When we talk about Our mission, what we really mean is that we have been invited to play a role in God’s mission. Filling the earth with His glory. “You will know that I am the Lord.”
- The way we read the bible should be Messianic. The Christ (The Messiah) should suffer and on the third day be raised from the dead. The barrier between us and God is removed – but there is still an imperative for this blessing to go to all the world.
- The way we read the bible should be Missional. 60% of Jesus’s summary of the Scriptures is used to get this across – You have a job to do. The news needs to be spread, it should motivate all we do and it is not a peripheral activity!
- Mindset Shift – Being a missionary is a core identity of a Christian. God has sent us to partner with him on mission and we need to take it seriously.
- Practical Shift – Evangelism is Important and Evangelism is Hard! Really what we want to do is share the good news about Jesus
- Expectation Shift – People who are evangelistically fruitful have different expectations – They see opportunities all over the place (random people, servers in a cafe, strangers on the street). Sometimes our expectation is low because we know the task is large and we are aware of our own inadequacies. We can increase expectation by sharing stories and by praying regularly.
The Missing Piece
- The task is big and we are inadequate! But God has an answer….
- He fills and empowers us with His Holy Spirit. Is it too big for him? Is he more than enough?
- When you get filled with the Holy Spirit a lot of things happen – we see this in the bible. Yet every time the context is missionary empowerment. It is the primary reason given in the book that God sends His Spirit on us.