This sermon was based on Philippians 4:1-9.
1Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved.
Exortation, Encouragement and Prayer
Posture of Peace
- Our posture is important – its what people see when they look at us.
- Its about our attitude and how we position ourselves in life.
The great battle of our day is for peace. There has been increase in Anxiety, Pressure, Tiredness, Busyness, Driven-ness, Disappointment, Comparison / envy – cynicism and bitterness. All of these things are opposite to peace.
What do We Mean by Peace?
- In the passage we see Paul encouraging restoration in relationship, Defeat of Anxiety and Focusing our minds on good things – these are all to do with peace.
Peace in the bible – Shalom. Peace in English doesn’t quite convey the depth of shalom.
Peace = absence of conflict.
- Shalom means much more.
(i) Health – Wholeness of life or body
(ii) Harmony – Right relationship between people and between man and God
(iii) Prosperity – Success, flourishing, fulfilment
(iv) Peace – Victory over enemies, the absence of war
How do We Develop a Posture of Peace?
- Peace comes from seeing the bigger picture.
- Peace comes from rejoicing.
- Peace is infectious.
- Peace comes from deciding to pray.
- Peace comes from a full mind.
- Peace comes from practice.