This message was the fifth part of the ‘In This Together’ series on the book of Philippians, preached at Christ Church Manchester’s church in Fallowfield in early 2017. The full series included the following sermons:
- Partnership in the Gospel (by Dave Williams) – Philippians 1:1-11
- Gospel Advance (by Colin Baron) – Philippians 1:12-30
- Humble Like Jesus (by Josh Di Fabio) – Philippians 2:1-11
- Act, Rest, Shine (by Alastair Barrie) – Philippians 2:12-18
- Sending & Being Sent (by Dave Williams) – Philippians 2:19-30
- Straining Towards the Goal (by Emily Williams) – Philippians 3:12-4:1
- Church Family (by Eleisha Bates) – Philippians 4:21-23
This sermon was based on Philippians 2:19-30.
Timothy & Epaphroditus
19I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I too may be cheered by news of you. 20For I have no one like him, who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare. 21For they all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. 22But you know Timothy’s proven worth, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel. 23I hope therefore to send him just as soon as I see how it will go with me, 24and I trust in the Lord that shortly I myself will come also.
25I have thought it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus my brother and fellow worker and fellow soldier, and your messenger and minister to my need, 26for he has been longing for you all and has been distressed because you heard that he was ill. 27Indeed he was ill, near to death. But God had mercy on him, and not only on him but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow. 28I am the more eager to send him, therefore, that you may rejoice at seeing him again, and that I may be less anxious. 29So receive him in the Lord with all joy, and honor such men, 30for he nearly died for the work of Christ, risking his life to complete what was lacking in your service to me.