This sermon was based on Mark 3:7-19.
A Great Crowd Follows Jesus
The Twelve Apostles
If You Want to Make a Change You Have to Stand up to Power
- Jesus stood up to the religious elite and to nationalism and greed.
- He stood up to disease, suffering and poverty, to the forces of evil and to those claiming to be gods and trying to get peoples worship.
Jesus is causing a world of trouble. He is standing up to the most significant powers. Standing up to those who want to be worshipped / control / to kill. He is going up against the evil that wants to rule the world.
How does Jesus Stand up to Power?
- Jesus gathers a team, he goes to a mountain (the place where God is) and calls people to follow him.
- Jesus calls those he wants. If you’re a believer in Jesus it’s because Jesus wants you. You’re not here by accident – you’re called into his presence.
- Those who Jesus calls are not the obvious candidates. They are a mixed bunch of everyday people with faults and failings – just like you and me!
What does Jesus Call You to?
- To be with him – to know him and to spend time with him. Over throw power by relationship.
- To be sent – preach – doesn’t mean Sunday preach – with friends – family – colleagues
- Authority over evil – We are not up against flesh and blood.
- Jesus calls you to himself.