This message was the sixth part of the ‘In This Together’ series on the book of Philippians, preached at Christ Church Manchester’s church in Fallowfield in early 2017. The full series included the following sermons:
- Partnership in the Gospel (by Dave Williams) – Philippians 1:1-11
- Gospel Advance (by Colin Baron) – Philippians 1:12-30
- Humble Like Jesus (by Josh Di Fabio) – Philippians 2:1-11
- Act, Rest, Shine (by Alastair Barrie) – Philippians 2:12-18
- Sending & Being Sent (by Dave Williams) – Philippians 2:19-30
- Straining Towards the Goal (by Emily Williams) – Philippians 3:12-4:1
- Church Family (by Eleisha Bates) – Philippians 4:21-23
This sermon was based on Philippians 3:12-4:1.
Straining Toward the Goal
12Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. 16Only let us hold true to what we have attained.
17Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. 18For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. 20But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.
1Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved.