This sermon was based on Ephesians 6: 10 – 20.
The Whole Armor of God
10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, 19and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, 20for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.
What Is Righteousness?
- Righteousness is the quality of being morally right or justifiable, acting in accord with divine or moral law and free from guilt or sin. It is being in right standing with God. It is an attribute of God himself.
- In the Old Testament righteousness was achieved by fulfilling the Law in every area of life and offering the correct sacrifices, in the right way, at the right time. As such it is humanly unobtainable.
- Jesus is The Righteous One. His death and resurrection means that we have now inherited righteousness. It is who we are as followers of Jesus.
Why is it A Breastplate?
- In the Roman Army Uniform the Breastplate had one function – to guard the heart.
- Proberbs 4 : 23-26 ‘above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.’
- Knowing that we are righteous guards our hearts because our behaviour changes when we believe we are who God says we are.
What Does it Mean To Put it On?
- Putting on righteousness doesn’t mean behaving well and trying hard. It does mean fully knowing that righteousness is who we are in Christ Jesus and allowing the truth of that to impact our lives day by day.
- God has placed us in Christ Jesus so that when he looks at us he now sees us as completely changed because of the work of the cross. He sees us as righteous.
- Knowing this truth is life changing, it guards our hearts and enables us to live as the people God says we are.