This sermon was based on Romans 5: 1 – 11.
Peace and Hope
1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we5:1 Many manuscripts let us have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we5:2 Or let us boast in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we5:3 Or let us also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.
6For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. 7For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— 8but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. 10For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. 11More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.
- We were sinners. That is who we were. We were ‘ungodly’, we were ‘enemies of God’.
- And yet, Christ still died for us.
- This is the Gospel. This is what Christianity is all about. This is the most significant event in the history of the universe.
- We are reconciled to God because of Jesus’ death and resurrection. We have peace with God. We are justified.
- These are all things that are not through our work or being; they are all earned because of Jesus. They have nothing to do with us.
- And that is why we can boast in our Lord. I wonder, when was the last time you boasted in God?
- Thankfully, in our spiritual timeline, our future is not uncertain. The victory is already won. Our salvation is confirmed and secure
- Just like our present status before God does not depend on what we do or have done but on what Jesus did, in the same way, our future does not depend on us but on what Jesus has done.
- Our future should incite excitement and joy. We get to spend eternity in Heaven, with our Lord. How wonderful is that?