This sermon was based on 1 Corinthians 15:1-11
The Resurrection of Christ
1Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, 2and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.
3For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, 5and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. 7Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. 8Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me. 9For I am the least of the apostles, unworthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. 11Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.
- The cross was the most brutal form of execution the Romans could come up with.
- The guards would have been executed if Jesus hadn’t really died.
- They put a spear in his side to be sure.
- The ‘swoon theory’ doesn’t make sense.
Jesus Was Buried
- And three days later the tomb was empty.
- ‘Watch the body’.
- The resurrection is not just a spiritual thing – it is physical.
- People saw Jesus alive – so it can’t be that the body was stolen.
- He appeared to 500 witnesses at one time – so it can’t be hallucinations.
- He appeared to sceptics and opponents and changed their mind – so it can’t be a con.
- The only explanation that remains is that Jesus rose from the dead.
Why It Matters
- Death is beaten
- Everything is possible
- Jesus is alive.