This sermon was based on John 10:33 & 1 Peter 1:3-4
John 10:33 – 33The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.”
1 Peter 1:3-4 – Born Again to a Living Hope | 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you,
Confirms That Jesus Is Who He Claimed to Be
• John 10:33
• Making a choice.
• Jesus being alive today.
Tells Us That This World Matters
• God caring about the physical world.
• Restoration on the earth.
• Protecting and caring for God’s creation.
Gives Us a Living Hope for the Future
• Living with and without hope.
• Hope that does not fail us.
• 1 Peter 1:3-4
• Assurances in the resurrection / living hope.
• Book: Surprised by Hope – N.T. Wright | Quote: “The point of the resurrection… is that the present bodily life is not valueless just because it will die… What you do with your body in the present matters because God has a great future in store for it… What you do in the present—by painting, preaching, singing, sewing, praying, teaching, building hospitals, digging wells, campaigning for justice, writing poems, caring for the needy, loving your neighbour as yourself—will last into God’s future. These activities are not simply ways of making the present life a little less beastly, a little more bearable, until the day when we leave it behind altogether… They are part of what we may call building for God’s kingdom.”
• Book: Man’s Search For Meaning – Viktor Frankl | Quote: “Any attempt to fight the camp’s… influence on the prisoner… had to aim at giving him inner strength by pointing out to him a future goal to which he could look forward.” Quote: It is a peculiarity of man that he can only live by looking to the future… the prisoner who had lost faith in his future was doomed. Quote: Life only has meaning if you have hope and meaning that suffering and death cannot destroy.