This sermon was based on Genesis 1:1-3 & 26-28 and Luke 24:45-47.
The Creation of the World
1In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. 2The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
3And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light…
26Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
27 So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.
28And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
Jesus Appears to His Disciples
45Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, 46and said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, 47and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
THE MISSION OF GOD
- When God created the world it was good, but not yet all that it was intended to be – God had a purpose and mission for what it would become.
- God has graciously shared this mission with humanity.
- The Mission Is to Do with People – The Mandate is to be fruitful and multiply.
- The Mission Is to Do with the World – The idea is for God’s glory to fill the garden and then for the garden to fill the whole earth.
- The Mission Is to Do with Culture – Have dominion and subdue the earth involves shaping and making culture.
THE MISSION OF THE CHURCH
- We have fallen from God – this is an obstacle for the mission but not the end.
- God sent his son into the world for us – he gave his life for our sin and his risen from the dead.
- The risen Jesus has sent out his church to preach repentance and forgiveness to all nations.
PLAYING OUR PART
- Join the mission where we are by telling people about Jesus.
- Fund the mission – we have an upcoming Give Big Sunday.
- Pray for the mission – details on how we can pray for unreached people groups can be found at www.joshuaproject.net
- Be open to going – to the next town, the next nation or the ends of the earth.