This sermon was based on Genesis 1:26-27.
The Creation of the World…
26Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
Humans In Relation to God
- We are made by God – this means he understands us and gives our lives purpose and meaning.
- We are made in God’s image – this is not defined narrowly as a single thing but we resemble him in many ways, just as Seth was in Adam’s ‘image’ and ‘likeness’ in Gen 5:3.
- God says humans are the thing that most resembles him in all of creation.
Humans In Relation to Each Other
- We are made male and female. Both maleness and femaleness are part of what it means to be in God’s image.
Humans In Relation to The Rest of Creation
- Humans have been given the authority to subdue the earth and have dominion.
- This is not a blank cheque to do whatever we want but a responsibility to steward well.
Implication – All Humans have Dignity as Image-Bearers
- Human rights originally come from reflection on the truth of humans in God’s image.
- Humans in the image of God was a key argument made by anti-slavery campaigners.
- The image of God in people of all races should lead Christians to fight against all forms of racism.
- The image of God also applies to people with disabilities, and we must treat them as dignified image-bearers.
- Those still in the womb also bear God’s image and should be treated with the dignity and worth that comes with this.