This message was part of the ‘How to Pray’ series, preached at Christ Church Manchester’s church in Fallowfield in early 2018. The full series included the following sermons:
This sermon was based on John 1:1-13.
The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light.
9 The true light, which gives light to everyone, was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. 11 He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. 12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
Centre Stage in Creation
- The world needs Christ because through Christ all things were made. This is all God’s creation, everything is God’s. Every person is created by God. We are created by God and we are meant to live for God, and with God. When that is broken, we are lost. But because of Christ we can be children of God.
- God is the creator, above everything. Without him there is nothing.
God set the universe in motion. God ordained the physical laws that govern how our world functions. Through the Word all things were made.
Wherever you take delight in our father’s creation and work – unashamedly celebrate and worship. So be full of confidence. It’s easy sometimes to feel as if church is a little marginalised group in a corner. When doubts like that rear up at us, lets remind ourselves – God is creator. Everything around us is his. He is that mighty, that awesome. Let us regain our confidence in God’s rightful position at the centre of the cosmos. In the beginning God.
Centre Stage in The World
- Just as God created everything, he created everyone. Not just believers but everyone!
- This is the basis of God’s judgement in the last days, God holding each person to account for their lives – it is right and proper that God sets the standard, the conditions for every life, because we were created by Him.
- We believe every human life is important. Whatever the state of rebellion in someone’s heart, they are fundamentally God’s possession, and so we treat all people with kindness and respect, as much as we can.
Think about the people you work with, you study with, you live with. Ponder that God created them, and God has ownership over them. What difference does that make to how you perceive them?
Centre Stage in Our Lives
- Having said everyone belongs to God, Johns gospel makes it clear that not everyone received him.
If you are not a Christian I have some bad news about the good news of Jesus. You have to do something about it. You have to take hold of what God is offering. You have to give yourself to him, you have to receive him into your life.
- The scandal is this – those who believe in the name of Jesus, have the right to be children of God, adopted into the family of God, brothers and sisters to Jesus the first born. It’s awesome!
The Lord has given you, the power, the authority, the right to be called child of God. There are lots of voices telling us we shouldn’t be children of God. Maybe our past, or our failures, or our circumstances, or our families, or our own hearts. Let the word of God overrule all of that. Know that you are a child of God.